5 things you didnt know about Bogota's "Ciclovía" or "Bicycle Way"
19 de Diciembre de 2019
Cultura en Bogotá
- On December of 1974, the Ciclovia or Bicycle Way was introduced for the first time as a result of pacific protests held by citizens against the car proliferation, pollution and as a form of entertainment to the city. On the first day of Ciclovia ever done, people took 3 hours to go across the two main streets of Bogota, Carrera 7 and Avenida 13 on their bikes.
- This first test was promoted by a non-profit organization named Procicla and 5000 people attended.
- In 2005 the headquarters of the Ciclovías Recreativas de las Américas visited Bogota. That same year, the international conference about the Leisure Bicycle way was held in Colombia.
- Eventually, the Ciclovia passed from 24 km in the ’80s to 118 km in 2018.
- In 2019, we´ve had 65 days of Ciclovia and had an average of 1.703.041 people attend it.
Recently National Geographic made an article in which they narrate in a beautiful way how the “Ciclovía” has changed the city and its incredible attractiveness. Please click here to read the article.